Dr. C. Murray Bartle
Wellington, New Zealand
m. +64 21 1696719
Meetings in developing countries
- An efficient directional fast neutron sensor for a mixed radiation field
- Developing low cost neutron systems for the detection of explosives and drugs
- Contrasting techniques for humanitarian demining and explosive detection using radiation transmission and backscatter
- Developing low cost systems for detection of threat materials
C. Murray Bartle PhD
PhD in Physics
Murray has a teaching and research background in applied physics.
Activities since 2005
2016 - present. Consultant to the agricultural industry
2005 - 2015 Contracted lecturer (Applied Physics) and supporting research leader (Radiation Detecting Materials)
Victoria University of Wellington
2011 - 2015 Lecturing (experimental techniques and nuclear energy); 2005 - 2013 Research (radiation detection group, leader: Assoc.Prof.Andy Edgar).
2010 - present. Director and Owner
Penguin Scientific and Medical Ltd
Research, Applications of physics in industry, development of new measurement methods, international science and education. Invited presenter to Asia/Pacific countries on industrial uses of neutrons.
2005 - 2010 Principal Scientist
Previously a senior scientist and scientist since 1980. Research team Leader in applying non-invasive techniques in industry.
Sketch of Capabilities and Highlights
- Experience both in NZ and overseas in research and tertiary teaching. Worked with the meat processing industry on real-time fat measurement in boneless meat.
- Previously a senior lecturer at the University of Cape Town, South Africa, a research fellow at the Australian National University and research associate at the University of Wisconsin, Madison USA
- Previously a consultant to Los Alamos National Laboratory USA and to NZ Customs and Biosecurity NZ.
- Experience provides a unique skill base in industrial innovation and tertiary teaching.
- 'Linkedin' skills noted: physics, science, nuclear physics, research, electronics, R&D, radiation, teaching, materials science, solid state physics, and 11 others.
- Patentee in novel noninvasive methods for evaluating hidden compositions, densities, thicknesses and locations (owners GNS Science).
- e.g. Patent US5479023 (1993) 'Method and apparatus for detecting concealed substances' notably in period 1993-2016 referenced by 110 new US patents.
- e.g. Patent US6678396 (2002) 'Method for non-invasive measurement of properties of meat', was basis for commercialisation success with partners.
- Regulatory matter expertise on issues regarding safe uses of radiation. Included training courses for NZ Customs staff.
- Extensive international experience: presentations relating to fast neutrons, gamma-rays and x-rays in research.
- Collaborated with Asia/Pacific research groups applying non-invasive techniques in industry.
- Previously a principal investigator supporting researchers at SCPS, Victoria University, Wellington, NZ. Developing and demonstrating new radiation imaging devices.Supporting PhD supervisor for 2 PhD students.
- International physics journals publications (e.g. recent below and via researchgate link elsewhere on this page). International journal referee (radiation physics)
Recent Publications in International Journals
- Winch, N.M, Edgar, A.; Bartle, C.M, 2014. Thermal neutron imaging with CsBr storage phsophors. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, A763: 394-398.
- Bartle, C. Murray; 2014. A fast neutron and dual-energy gamma-ray absorption method (NEUDEG) for investigating materials using a 252Cf source. Radiation Measurements, 63: 32-37.
- Dixie, Laura Catherine; Edgar, Andrew; Bartle, Colin Murray; 2014. Samarium doped calcium fluoride: A red scintillator and X-ray phosphor. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, A753: 131-137.
- Dixie, Laura C.; Edgar, Andrew; Bartle, C. Murray; 2014. Spectroscopic and radioluminescence properties of two bright X-ray phosphors: Strontium barium chloride doped with Eu2+ or Sm2+. Journal of Luminescence,149:91-98.
- Breukers, R.G., Bartle, C.M., Edgar, A., 2013. Transparent lithium loaded plastic scintillators for thermal neutron detection. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, A701: 58-61.
- Dixie, Laura; Edgar, Andrew; Bartle, Murray; 2013. Energy resolved imaging with a stratified phosphor detector. Radiation Measurements, 56: 129-133.
- Bartle, C.M., Edgar, A., Dixie, L., Varoy, C., Piltz, R., Buchanan, S., Rutherford, K., 2011. Novel methods of measuring afterglow in developmental scintillators for x-ray and neutron detection. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, A651: 105-109.
- Bartle, C.M., Williams, G.V.M., 2011. An efficient directional fast neutron sensor for a mixed radiation field. Radiation Measurements, 46: 1716-1719.
- Dixie, Laura; Edgar, Andrew; Bartle, Murray; 2011. Luminescence and x-ray properties of samarium and lanthanum-doped cubic barium chloride. Physica status solidi, 8(1): 132-135.
- Edgar, A., Bartle, M., Varoy, C., Raymond, S., Williams, G., 2010. Structure and scintillation properties of cerium-doped barium chloride ceramics: effects of cation and anion substitution. IEEE transactions of nuclear science, 57: 1218-1222.